All uphill travelers must obtain an Uphill Travel Pass online by submitting the agreement form at the bottom of this page. They must also understand the Winter Trail Use Policy and follow the restrictions and recommendations for trail use and uphill access to Sugarbush Resort.
Please check the snow report for the most current hours of operations and route status.
Hiking or skinning on designated trails at both Lincoln Peak and Mt. Ellen is not permitted before the mountains open for the winter season, nor is hiking or skinning permitted during the operating hours of the resort.
*Due to COVID-19, all on-mountain buildings including mid-mountain lodges, ski patrol shacks, and lift tracks are off limits during uphill travel hours. There will be no on-mountain bathroom access so please plan accordingly.
Routes and Times
At Lincoln Peak
- Between the hours of 5 PM to 10 PM on the following trail: Easy Rider to Lower Pushover to Pushover to Birch Run. Guests must be off the hill by 10 PM.
- Between the hours of 4 AM to 7 AM on the following trails: Racer’s Edge to Lower Snowball to Snowball to the top of the Valley House Chair. Guests must be off the hill by 7 AM.
- Due to plowing, parking for hiking and skinning is provided at Lincoln Peak in the heli lot, to the right of The Schoolhouse.
At Mt. Ellen
- Between the hours of 5 PM to 10 PM and 4 AM to 7 AM on the following trails: Easy Does It to Straight Shot to Cruiser to Lower Rim Run to Rim Run. Guests must be off the hill by 7 AM and 10 PM.
- Due to plowing, parking for hiking and skinning is provided at Mt. Ellen in the lot next to the Sunny Quad lift.
There will be times when skinning and hiking is closed due to weather conditions. Please check the Sugarbush snow report before proceeding.
Hiking and Skinning during operating hours may be authorized under special circumstances (i.e. lift mechanical failure or weather hold, or special events). Hiking or skinning during operating hours on designated trails requires a day ticket or season pass and is only permitted when specifically authorized by the resort (these routes are only open when the weather and conditions permit). Please call Guest Services at 802-583-6590 or visit the snow report for the current designated route.
Rules and Policies
Hikers and skinners must adhere to the following rules:
- Mountain operations take place AT ALL TIMES. This includes grooming, snowmaking, transportation of materials and personnel, and other activities. STAY AWAY from all resort operations and machinery.
- Hikers/Skinners must hold a valid “Uphill Travel Pass” available at no cost online.
- Hike and skin in a single-file line, on the side of the trail.
- Hike and skin on the designated trail going up and ski or ride on the same trail going down.
- Dogs are not allowed.
- Be aware that there are numerous inherent risks associated with skinning and hiking at the resort.
- Winching involves a grooming machine hooked up to a long cable under a tremendous amount of force. Our operators will utilize beacon lights when performing this extremely hazardous activity. NEVER GO NEAR A WINCH CAT.
- Overnight stays on the mountain are prohibited.
- Do not hike, skin, or ski on a closed trail.
- All Terrain Parks & Park Features are off-limits.
- Tubing and/or sledding of any kind is prohibited at all times.
- Lights are required to be in use at all times.
What to Know Before You Go:
- Your Responsibility Code applies at all times. Please follow it.
- Observe all posted signs and warnings. This includes closed trails. Stay on designated routes only.
- Never go alone. Always hike in groups of 3. Remember we do not have Ski Patrol services at night.
- Check the weather forecast before you go. Our mountain weather can change very quickly.
- Dress appropriately for the conditions.
- Bring a cell phone with you. In the event of an emergency, call 911. Ensure you pay attention to your specific location, including trail names.
- When hiking in the dark, wear a headlamp and bright, reflective clothing.
- YOU ASSUME THE RESPONSIBILITY for accessing our ski trails outside of operating hours. In the event you require an emergency response, you will be responsible for all costs incurred as a result.
After the mountains have closed for the season, hiking/skinning is permitted.
This policy is for the benefit of our customers and has been created with the safety of both them and our mountain operations team in mind. Disregard for the policy rules and conditions may result in revocation of skiing privileges, banning from resort premises, and/or legal action.
Get Your Uphill Travel Pass
SUGARBUSH UPHILL PASS AGREEMENT
Liability Acknowledgment, Acceptance of Risks and Promise Not to Sue
Forum Selection Agreement
(PLEASE READ CAREFULLY)
WARNING: All forms of skiing, snowboarding, riding, hiking, skinning and/or other alpine activities, including the use of lifts, are hazardous. Falls and injuries are common occurrences, therefore requiring deliberate and conscious control through proper lookout, control, and use of equipment with due regard for ever changing variables and dangers. Safety is directly affected by participant judgment and attention in the severe elements of rough, mountain terrain. Ski or ride only within your ability and follow Your Responsibility Code.
EXPRESS ASSUMPTION OF RISK: I understand and accept that skiing, snowboard, riding, hiking, skinning and/or other alpine activities (hereinafter “winter sports”) in which I may participate at Sugarbush Mountain Resort Inc. dba Sugarbush Resort (hereinafter “Sugarbush”) are hazardous with many inherent risks and resulting injuries or death. In consideration of this, my knowledge and understanding of these winter sports and the benefits, terms, and conditions of my Uphill Pass Agreement (“Agreement”) and being allowed to use the Sugarbush premises to participate in winter sports, I freely and willingly accept and voluntarily assume all risk of property damage, personal injury, or death which occurs at Sugarbush and which results from my participation in such winter sports and the inherent risks of same as they are defined herein. I am fully aware that all forms of winter sports activities are hazardous, filled with high risks and that falls, collisions and injuries can occur in these activities. I accept for myself the full responsibility for any and all damage, injury and/or death that may result.
DEFINITION OF INHERENT RISK: I, on behalf of myself and my heirs, further agree that the phrase “inherent risks” means those risks which are listed in this agreement, or those that can reasonably be inferred therefrom. I also agree that these risks are both obvious and necessary to these winter sports activities. I agree that the inherent risks of winter sports include but are not limited to changing weather conditions; surface and/or subsurface snow conditions as they may from time to time exist and may change or be affected by weather, skier, or participant usage (whether such conditions are surface or subsurface, consist of ice, hard pack, powder, packed powder, wind pack, corn, crust, slush, cut up snow, and/or machine made or machine enhanced snow); other risks and/or conditions including bare spots, forest growth and debris, stumps, trees, streambeds, water and/or water bars, and other such conditions, whether or not they are visible, and/or collisions with such objects; collisions with lift towers, signs, posts, fences, or other enclosures, water and/or air pipes or other manmade structures, and/or their components such as pipes and hydrants used in snowmaking or for other necessary purposes, whether or not these structures are marked, padded, or shielded; collision with well-marked or plainly visible snowmobiles, snow grooming, or other over-snow vehicles or equipment; collisions with skiers, riders, or others; variations in steepness of terrain including but not limited to roads, terrain modifications, features or variations which occur naturally or as the result of slope design, feature design, weather events and/or changes, snowmaking and/or snow grooming operations, and/or participant usage.
RELEASE-PROMISE NOT TO SUE/HOLD HARMLESS: As a condition of being permitted to use the ski area premises, I hereby Promise Not to Sue Sugarbush, their owners, affiliates, employees and agents, and I freely and voluntarily accept all risks of injury, death or property damage occurring thereon. I further PROMISE NOT TO SUE AND RELEASE, Hold Harmless and Indemnify Sugarbush, to the fullest extent allowed by law, from any and all liability for personal injury including death, and property damage including any alleged negligence in the operation of Sugarbush and/or the maintenance of any conditions of its premise, including but not limited to any that arise from my participation in winter sports at Sugarbush and/or encountering of any of the inherent risks defined above.
FORUM SELECTION: I further agree that any dispute arising under this Agreement and/or from my use of the premises or facilities at Sugarbush shall be litigated exclusively in the Vermont Superior Court, Civil Division, located in Washington County, Vermont or the U.S. District Court for the District of Vermont.
I agree that if any portion of this Agreement is determined to be unenforceable by a court of law, then all other parts shall remain in full force and effect and that any remaining provisions shall be binding upon me, my heirs and assigns.
I agree to refrain from misconduct or reckless winter sports activities, acknowledging that the uphill pass may be revoked; and to obey all postings, signage and/or warnings displayed by Sugarbush.
PARENT/GUARDIAN: Any participant under age 18 must have this Agreement signed by a parent or legal guardian. By signing this Agreement, I authorize and consent to my ward or child’s participation in the above described winter sports and acknowledge that I understand that any and all risk whether known or unknown, is expressly assumed, and all claims whether known or unknown are expressly assumed in advance pursuant to the terms hereof. I agree to indemnify all persons and entities identified above, generally and specifically, from any and all liability for death, personal injury or property damage, resulting in any way from my child or ward’s participation in any winter sports noted above. By signing this document on behalf of any minor, I represent and guarantee that I have full authority to do so realizing the full binding effect of this Agreement.
By submitting this form, you acknowledge and agree that you are of legal age, that you have carefully read the Winter Trail Use Policy and this Agreement; that you understand its contents; that you consent with full knowledge of its significance and its binding legal effect; and that you are signing this Agreement only on behalf of yourself and/or your minor child and not anyone else.