Thursday, March 15, 2012
Doesn't this winter make you feel like Julius Caesar? Our good friend Mother Nature seems to keep stabbing us in the back. After 15 inches of glorious snow last weekend that set up one of the best three days of the year, it seems that now we are caught in a ten-day hot and dry pattern that is beginning to take its toll on the mountain. We have lost some of our natural trails that get the all-day spring sunshine. Cruelest of all was the loss of Castlerock and the Slide Brook chair.
HOWEVER, the skiing (especially on the upper mountain trails) at Lincoln Peak and at Mt. Ellen is still really good.
In fact, I am predicting that we are going to have excellent spring skiing this Saturday and Sunday. The sun will be out, the snow will be soft, and I think that trails like Ripcord, Stein's, FIS, and Black Diamond will be delightful. They are great spring trails and still have a lot of snow. I just came down from Stein's and the moguls were just right, although I think some of the best moguls today were on Looking Good. Stein's were soft and deep enough to make it a good aerobic run.
We have a lot of fun stuff happening, beginning tomorrow with our St. Patty's Day party at Mt. Ellen and our Sugaring Time Festival at Lincoln Peak. This year's Spring Pass ($199) goes on sale tomorrow, as do our season passes for 2012/13. Despite the challenges of this year, we have decided to keep our prices the same as last year. Pricing will be available on our website first thing tomorrow morning. These prices will be available through May 2nd.
To all our season pass holders this year I want to say that you have been great. Thank you! We really appreciate all your support and the many nice compliments about our mountain team that you have shared with me.
Many are asking, "How long will we last?" The simple answer is, "As long as we can." Mt. Ellen is scheduled to stay open until Sunday, April 1st, and the scheduled closing for Lincoln Peak is Sunday, April 15th (but, as you know, we go longer if we can). We are going to do everything possible to get to those dates but we will need some help from Mother Nature. It looks like temperatures will stay above freezing all day and night through next Thursday, and this would impact a number of trails. But after that, there are some indications that we might return to more seasonable temperatures.
In my opinion, it is premature to take off the snow tires and put away the skis. However, I also believe in hedging bets so I would recommend getting to the mountain this weekend and next, just in case Mother Nature takes on the role of Brutus once again.
I am only at day 84 so we need at least 16 more days for me to feel satisfied.